Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Obsession...



Rekindling an innocent obsession with Jim Henson has been keeping all of my attention.

As a matter of fact I spent most of last night watching old Jim Henson and Frank Oz interviews and even a Iowa public television show hosted by Henson.  Then I watched Jims memorial and cried and cried. I never thought Big bird singing it isnt easy being green would make me cry like a baby.

Jim Henson's creature shop is amazing... It its truly unfair that the world lost him when he was only 53. His very very early stuff is hilarious, which is what i posted above here.

He went from entirely simple, yet odd, hand puppets to full blown animatronics. The creature shop has made nearly everything puppet or body suit in movies, TV, and commercials . A lot of things I never thought about. The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles body's suits were made by the creature shop along with Projects in the Never Ending story.

Truly Its more than the puppet that makes the character. No one can replace the original puppeteers. Jim Henson and his creators made a lot of innocent multi-leveled characters but his personal projects always tended to be a bit darker. Labyrinth and The dark Crystal were some of  his side projects. Side projects!

My thoughts are a bit scattered because I have taken in quite a bit of information in a short amount of time.

I am going to make a puppet. A kermit style puppet. Which is rather simple but I really enjoy how easy it is to express emotion by crinkling your hand. Henson and Oz describe the beauty in his simplicity is simply made by subtle folds in fabric.


I need to do this. Honestly Im not sure Why Ive waited so long.



1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see it! I love puppets! Will it be Kermit or Kermit like?

    ReplyDelete